Thursday, December 3, 2009

Growing Sustainable Infrastructure

At this point in my life I am interested in sustainability and sound infrastructure. To that end I am engaged in several ongoing projects.

The first is LittleFoot, my low-tech homestead in Trinity County. On 4.4 remote wooded acres, with only a single one-room cabin, LittleFoot is as simple as simple gets. My motto: Simple doesn't break. So, no utilities or plumbing at the homestead. Rooftop rainwater catchment and water tanks are on the drawing board, as well as a treehouse, fenced garden, and an additional road and building pad. Everything up there - the cabin and the furniture in it, even the land itself - was bought at bargain basement prices or obtained for free.

The second project is an orchard at my parent's place. Fencing has begun, with fruit trees forthcoming. Avocado trees, a walnut tree, a fig tree and apple trees are all on the wish list. I am pushing my parents to eventually add chickens, milk goats and rabbits.

The third project is my pickup truck. I have placed a deposit with a local garage to get a high performance K&N air filter and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system installed on it. These two gizmos will increase power and fuel economy, while reducing emissions.

In addition, I have purchased a rice cooker, a juicer and a food dehydrator in the last 6 months, and these three machines all make significant contributions towards greater health and self-reliance.

More to come†

No comments:

Post a Comment