Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Hippie Survivalist - The Future Is Now

* In NorCal a baddie gets busted for having 111 illicit weapons - some full-auto, many or all stolen - stashed in a camouflaged cave.  PRESS HERE

* God do I love meat pies.  Even the bad ones are good.

* A private Navy goes to work protecting flotillas of freighters off the Barbary Coast of Somalia.  PRESS HERE

* In economically-strapped Spain, the unemployed learn to create - and thrive in - a cashless, bottom-up economy.  PRESS HERE

* Cool documentary about Ram Bahadur Bomjan ("Buddha Boy"), who went for several years without eating, drinking water or seeking shelter from the elements in Nepal last decade.  PRESS HERE 

IMHO: I thought this story was popular fantasy until I saw this documentary.  Am told that the types of yogic powers displayed by Ram - surviving without eating or drinking water, generating internal heat to counteract cold weather, etc. - are the result of concentration meditation.  This type of meditation leads to yogic powers, but not to enlightenment.  Awareness meditation is what leads to enlightenment.  Too bad, because I think yogic powers are super cool.  Seriously - Jesus had them and he was as cool as cool can be!

* FINALLY bought a freaking couch, after 11 months in my new/first home (an 840 sf cottage).  Got rid of the unusable freebie love seat that sat in my living room for half a year.  The cat has not yet claimed the new couch...which perplexes me.

* Almost done building a keyhole garden, which I will use to grow food in during the Spring/Summer months when the high sun should give it full light all day every day.  Don't know how effective it will be in my windy and cool backyard - these gardens are designed for a hot, dry African climate.  Will post a photo shortly.

FYI: PLAN MAJOR PROJECTS BEFORE EMBARKING ON THEM.  FFS I didn't.  First I bought 2 truckloads of scrap bricks and cinder blocks and ceramic pipes, then I patched all that heavy, ugly crap together to form a 3-foot-high wall around a 6-foot diameter circle.  Then I realized it looked godawful, tore it apart, bought new cinder blocks for less than I paid for the used ones, re-built the garden and have now half-filled it with dirt.  Should be done tomorrow.  The end result of not planning this escapade is that I spent an entire week (my week off!) building it, wasted $100 on it, am left with several piles of used bricks and large ceramic pipes that I don't want and probably can't sell, and I got the best full-body workout I've had in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment