Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Filthy, Savage Bastidges

*
Good morning, my Peeps.  Here I sit in my own backyard food garden, blogging from a wireless laptop.  Pretty cool, and far more than any human deserves.  All these modern comforts are gravy, Brothers.  Hard-earned gravy, but still gravy.  Let us remember that.
*
The food farm is an ongoing project and I am still busting hump on it.  I now have 7 wine barrels total for planting in.  Two have citrus, 1 has an almond, and 1 has a 3-graft peach.  A potato patch will go in the 5th barrel (3 types of fingerling seed potatoes on order), and veggies will go in the last 2.  All 3 earth boxes are now planted with tomatoes (early & heirloom varieties), and 1 blueberry has gone into a real pot.

I'm trying hard to maintain the awesomeness of the backyard landscaping that came with my cottage, but at the same time incorporate the food garden.  Thus the layout shown below, which limits all food plants to containers, and superimposes them on top of the existing lawn without ripping the ground up.  I went for some symmetry, and hopefully when the dead tree on the bottom left in the photo below is torn out (within the week), the lawn will remain a fun and attractive part of the yard, 1/2 shaded (right) and 1/2 sunny (left).


I want to install a shed in the far right corner of the photo below, but that plan is on hold until I determine if a sewer lateral runs thru that corner.  If it does, I'm SOL, and I'll have to figure out an alternative arrangement for some kind of workshop and more storage.


Not much to say at this hour on this day.  Got chores to do.  Just remember this: When the filthy, savage bastidges come galloping over the hill, shoot and run, shoot and run, shoot and run.  History has shown us Americans that it's the only viable way.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment