Saturday, October 27, 2012

October Notes

*
Cool stuff:

A ceramic razor blade, available online for $12.  I do not own one, and because it is so small - about 1-inch long - I probably won't buy one.  However, it's a cool survival item, one that could be sewn into clothing and won't set off metal detectors, should you ever find yourself imprisoned by Bad Guys after the Zombies take over the world.

A screw-on bayonet lug for your AR-15, just $20.  Just what I would want if I had an AR-15 that didn't have a bayonet lug.  Now, I wish someone would design a similar bolt-on gadget that would allow you to attach a bayo to a Mossberg 590A1 with an 18.5-inch barrel....  Really.  I'm not just saying that.

Speaking of accessories for Mossberg 590A1s, check out this after-market heat shield, available by AimPro for $59 with a choice of Parkerized, OD, flat black, gunmetal gray or Flat Dark Earth finishes.  Folks, this is the only heat shield available ANYWHERE for the venerable 590A1...I'm so glad it's now available!

Two companies that offer souped-up, tactical Mossberg 590A1s: AimPro Tactical and Vang Comp Systems.  The AimPros look better to me, but then I have a penchant for heat shields and breacher barrels.  Both companies offer ported barrels!

The Mossberg 930 Special Purpose is looking mighty fine these days, available in many different configurations with several after-market parts (including numerous enhanced charging handles).  The 930 is an autoloader and one of the things I like about it is that the 18.5-inch barrel models have barrel-length magazines, offering +2 capacity over the equivalent 590 pump models.

Ah, speaking of which, there are mag extenders available for the 590A1.  Vang Comp makes a 1-round tube extender.  Choate makes a 2-round extender.  If you scroll down this page you will find descriptions and links to every extender made, complete with pricing and photos.
*
I recently took a combat shotgun class and have the shoulder bruises to prove it.  I couldn't imagine more fun.  If I ever doubted that happiness is breech-loading bird shot rounds into a 590A1, I don't now.  I know that shotguns are limited by range and ammo capacity, and that the Mossberg 590A1 is a heavy bugger, but we are all prone to our individual predilections and skill sets, and if you are willing to do the sniping, I will engage the zombies head-on with my heavy-barreled hand canon.  :-)

My 590A1 has a Hogue foregrip and a fiber optic sight.  I had a really nice and effective Knoxx recoil-absorbing pistol grip with folding stock attached to it, but I removed it after quickly realizing - in class - that it obstructed the magazine release.  So much for that awesome gimmick!  So I'm back to the factory (plastic) stock for now.  But I have a Hogue 13" LOP stock on order, along with a +1 mag tube extender, a high-visibility follower and a heat shield.  When I finish kitting my Mossie out, it will be very heavy, but it will be Terminator-worthy, and slugs will not kick so hard.  I used to think I wanted a tactical Double Defense coach gun as backup, but after finishing the class I think I'd prefer a tactical 930 instead.  Something about the feel and sound of the charging handle and the semi-auto action...

Good night, good people!
*

No comments:

Post a Comment