Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Baby

*
Yes, Sir - that's my baby in the photos below.  I've owned a Mossberg 590A1 Mariner for many years now, and the only regret I have is fucking its finish up.  It is a hell of a weapon - extremely fun, intimidating, heavy-duty and effective.  This shotgun comes stock with 5+1 capacity, a weatherproof Marinecote finish, an 18.5-inch heavy wall barrel, an aluminum trigger assembly, an aluminum safety, a metal magazine cap, a brass bead sight, and lightweight plastic furniture.  It is a heavy weapon, much heavier than a Mossberg 500.  The weight does not bother me, though - I figure it just reduces the recoil and muzzle jump that much more.

In the photo below, the modifications I have made are, from muzzle to stock (L - R): a fiber optic sight, a Vang Comp +1 magazine tube extender, an AimPro Parkerized heat shield, a Hogue foregrip, a bright red magazine tube follower (not visible), a 5-shell ammo sleeve, and a 13" LOP Hogue stock.  I do not have a sling attached at this time, but the swivel studs are in place.


This photo (below) shows the Grateful Dead sticker on the receiver :-), and the open action.


IMHO the fiber optic sight, magazine extender, red magazine follower, and ammo sleeve are must-haves.  The Hogue furniture is VERY nice and grippy, but not essential.  The heat shield is cool as hell but a bit of a gimmick - my shotgun doesn't have a bayonet lug.

All of the modifications shown above are recent additions, with the exception of the fiber optic sight, which I've had - and used - for years.

I have shot skeet with this gun on 3 occasions (before the above-mentioned additions) and it was incredibly fun and satisfying each time.  The gun had considerably less kick than a longer-barreled skeet gun, weighed less, was much easier to shoulder and maneuver, and was very effective at hitting the first clay pigeon...but not so good at hitting the second clay pigeon.  The shot pattern simply opened up too wide too fast to effectively dust the pigeon at range.  A hit on the second pigeon usually consisted of a pellet or two striking it, and it breaking into two pieces.

I recently learned how to breech-load, and it is now one of my favorite hobbies.  I use snap caps at home, but have range experience, too.  Even tried breech-loading at skeet!  Fun as hell.

I know people that excel at the pistol, or are into optics and long-distance shooting, and that's fine.  I'm happy for them.  But it takes all kinds to make the world go around.  Me, I love my short-range 590A1 riot gun.  I have an affinity for it.  It's my CQB End-of-the-World weapon. Now I just gotta see how much survival kit I can pack into the stock...
*

No comments:

Post a Comment