Sunday, February 21, 2010

Orchardness & Sepp Holzer

*Over the last two weekends my bro-in-law and I planted 4 fruit trees: an apple, an apricot, a fig and a lime-loquat hybrid called a limequat. Digging the holes in clay mud is effing exhausting, then we have to cut and form cages out of gopher wire, plant the trees in them, and add wire cages above ground to keep out the deer. But the first 2 trees appear to have taken, and we're keeping our eyes on the second 2. I'm planning on also planting: 2 hazelnuts, 3 avocados, some olives and a walnut tree. It may take a couple-few years to plant them all, but that's OK.

*Holy Sh*t! Check out this video of Sepp Holzer, an Austrian farmer with a different view of gardening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzRzJRiUylg

This guy is amazing! You may notice that this is the first of 4 in-series videos - I urge you to watch the other 3 videos. I find Sepp's methods, insights and beliefs deeply inspiring, and am now envisioning forming terraces and gardens around the orchard at my parent's house. This guy is nothing short of a magician.

No comments:

Post a Comment