Sunday, February 7, 2010

Zoom

Zoom is my truck, and I love him dearly. He's a 2003 Nissan Frontier SC 4x4, with a 3.4 liter 6-cylinder supercharged engine that has been upgraded with a high-end K&N air filter and a cat-back exhaust system. The only drawback to Zoom is his gas mileage. Currently I am getting 14.5 mpg city and 18 highway. I am going to increase that however, by laying off the gas. Slower acceleration is the key.

I have spent a lot of time researching additional upgrades for Zoom, including a flatbed, run-flat tires, a front winch-mount bumper, safety film for the windows, and a canvas shell for the bed. In the end though, I figure that the current configuration is the lightest, cheapest, and thus will deliver the best mpg. And unless I win the lottery, I can spend the money on better things. The important thing is to keep him in fine running condition by having his fluids changed regularly.

Food for thought: A pickup with a Cummins turbo-diesel would have gotten MUCH better gas mileage...

No comments:

Post a Comment