Monday, March 15, 2010

The Big Berkey

My Big Berkey just arrived, and it's filtering H2O as I write this. Getting it was no mean feat, seeing as Berkefeld's can't be sold in California because they do not meet California filtration standards. Californians cannot even buy them via the internet! Which is ridiculous, seeing as Berkeys are the world standard for gravity-fed water purification systems, AND there is no other equivalent! So anyway, I sent the money to someone out of state, and they purchased it and sent it to me. And, so far, I'm impressed. I've been using a Brita filter for years, and let's face it, Britas are not really filters. I'm not sure what they actually do, besides condition the water so it tastes better, and make us feel like we are being healthy. The Berkey has some heavy duty silver-impregnated ceramic/charcoal filter elements that last 10 years. They cost about $50 each, and my setup has 2, though up to 4 can be used. The system consists of 2 stainless steel pots, one of which sits on top of the other. The filter elements fit into the top pot, where the water goes, and clean water gravity-feeds into the lower pot. It's a simple, clean set-up, and the water tastes really good. I'm stoked, and plan to use this system for many years. It ain't cheap, but then again, it ain't plastic. You know the score: After TSHTF and no one has any potable water, all the girls are invited to my love shack. But if you are a dude, be sure to wear a bulletproof vest if you come a'knocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment