Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Update


*Some homeless man in Brazil built a car out of junk and scrap parts (LINK). It took him 4 years, and he cut the sheet metal with a hammer and chisel, but as you can see below, the finished product is quite extraordinary! I've seen factory-produced cars that looked far shittier.


*Sarajevo Survival Tools: I recommend taking 10 minutes to view this online museum, which contains all manner of tools that the besieged citizens of Sarajevo hand-built during the 90's in their time of dire darkness and need. I'll tell you, what strikes me about these tools, which range from guns to wood-burning stoves, is the extreme poverty that they exude. Take the wagon - it is made out of an old-fashioned milk crate and old-fashioned roller skates. Not just old-fashioned, but antique. The level of technology used to build all these tools is reminiscent of 70's India or World War II -- they were completely hand-built without the use of any advanced machinery. The shotgun is frightening to behold, it is so crude. I would seriously question whether the pipe-barrels would explode if I pulled the trigger. That said, simple is good cuz it don't usually break, and I like all these tools because they are down-to-earth fixes to the problems of everyday life.

*Let us not forget 2 cool survivalist websites: The Survivalist Blog by M D Creekmore, and Bison Survival Blog by James M Dakin. These guys are low-budget survivalists who walk their own talk. I particularly enjoy Dakin's earthy and critical assessments of Jim Rawles' Survival Blog, though I am the first to admit that I religiously check the Rawles site every day for cutting edge survivalist news.

*Check out this Shockwave Engine. Well, we'll just have to see how this pans out, but this engine has extraordinary potential. Reminiscent of a hi-tech rotary engine, it has few moving parts and can run on a variety of fuels. Sounds as if it has the potential to replace traditional generators. My fantasy car is a series electric hybrid powered by small, horizontally stacked shockwave engines. As I need more power, the engines kick in one-by-one, then they shut off instantly when not needed. If we imagine that each engine has 20 horsepower, and they each feed into a central battery pack/capacitor that in turn powers the 4 hub motors on my 2024 Nissan WRX STI Road Commando, we can also imagine that there might be 4 5-engine stacks under the hood, providing a total of 400 horsepower. Shoot for the moon, and you might hit a branch!


No comments:

Post a Comment