Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Lost Road








I found The Lost Road yesterday. It was really cool - my kind of road. I thought, if I ever make a movie, I'm going to film part of it here, on this overgrown highway. Some Space Age vehicle will make its way down this track, its pilot venturing into a forgotten, future wilderness. And I took photos instead.

There's something about seeing what lies beyond modernity that I really like. You know what it is? It's that when we're on a highway, or in a shopping center, those man-made edifices are so real that they seem permanent. Watch the cars drive down the road all day every day, week in and week out, year after year, decade after decade, and the road just gets bigger and smoother and brighter and faster. Same with the shopping center. Fortunes are made, crimes are committed, mall cops arrest kids, and it's all so fucking important.

But we know it's going to end someday. It has to. It's almost unimaginable, but it doesn't matter. It has to end. There is no other choice. The shopping mall must one day rot, abandoned to the pitiless sun. The road must one day revert back to nature, where it will crumble away and be swallowed by hungry bushes. And that's the shit, right there. That sums up the age we live in, this time and place. The End of Modernity. My time.

Twilight always was my favorite time of day.

* * * * * * * * * * *

An interesting solution to Peak Oil, parked down on the Avenue. The front box appears to be a child's seat, but could also be used to transport materiel. Something tells me this bitch was made in Europe.




No comments:

Post a Comment