Sunday, September 11, 2011

DIY LockBox

*
Someone gave me an old ammo box that they had once started to convert into a motorcycle cargo box. Using the existing drilled holes in it's floor, I drilled thru the bed of The Beast and inserted 4 bolts upwards from beneath, securing the bolts with washers, nuts and lock nuts (in that order) from the inside of the box. Below you can see the box in place. It's a biggie, 20mm or some shit like that.


Below is a photo of the other end of the box. Because the lid comes off entirely, this end of the lid had to be permanently secured to the box with a bolt, washers, nut and lock nut. Because of the double nuts on the inside, there is no way to remove the bolt from the outside. I tried, and it just spun in place.


The other side of the lid is secured with a padlock. Because padlocks are easy to snip, I positioned the ammo box so that it butts very closely up against The Beast's tailgate. Thus I can close the box, lock it, close the tailgate and lock IT, and there is no way to open the box. Actually, the padlock is not even needed. There is simply no way to pull the lid handle out and up when the tailgate is in place. Wa-laaah! A free lock box for the truck...well, it cost me a few bucks in nuts and bolts and washers, and 2 hours of my time. And, it was a "learning experience".



One last thing. The box vibrates when I drive, even though it is screwed in tighter than a French whore. Solution? I'll add more bolts to the corners, to hold the box down against the truck bed even when the bed is torquing or flexing.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment