Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Hippie Survivalist - A Simple Mod Or 2

--------------------
So, I finally came around full circle and caved in and bought an Ontario Knives Air Force Survival Knife. For years I've checked this blade out and always been kind of annoyed by it. It's so...antiquated! I don't think they have once changed the design, ever, in 60 years, except to now offer a version with a synthetic handle. But here is the dealio - I finally realized that for the price, it's a fuck of a knife. It goes for around $45 online these days, and has a bitchin' sharp carbon steel blade. Even I can't deny the awesomeness of that fucking blade, at that fucking price.


There it is, above, in full glory. A stout leather sheath that is both sewn and riveted, with an outer metal layer to make the knife safe and "jump-ready" for active airmen. Also, a pocket with a sharpening stone in it, and several holes to strap the sheath down if need be.



The knife itself is carbon steel with a flat black, rust-resistant coating, a stacked leather handle and a butt cap designed to bust holes in windows and heads. The knife edge is very sharp, and the saw blade on the back is designed to cut aluminum, not wood. There are two small holes on one side of the guard that are designed to allow cord thru, for tying the knife to a stick to make a survival spear.

This is the knife in its out-of-the-box configuration.  Note that all the leather is untreated, and that the double-sided guard prevents a person from getting a thumb onto the top of the blade for precision carving/work.

Unable to not fuck with something when I can customize it, I did just that.  And I did it today, as a matter-of-fact!


So here it is, above - I painted the entire sheath and handle with boiled Linseed oil, let it sit, wiped it, repeated the process, and now it's drying for a week outside in the shade.  But, notice the guard!  Yes - I took a hacksaw to it and cut off most of the upper guard, then filed it into shape, softened the corners, colored the raw steel with a black permanent marker and there you have it.  Close-up below.


You know what? I think it's going to rock. The short upper guard still acts as a finger guard, while also allowing me to get my thumb up onto the back of the blade. One last thing - because I cut off the two cord holes in the upper guard, I am going to drill a single hole in the lower guard.  But, I'll wait a week or two, until the whole mess is dry.
--------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment