Saturday, March 12, 2011

Of Jap Tsunamis & Quakes, Nuke Meltdowns, Singers & Smaller Things


MORE IMPORTANT:

*This Jap disaster should serve as a wake-up call to all preppers that TS can HTF at any moment, leaving society utterly crippled.
*Rite now there is a serious possibility that one or more Jap nuke reactors are going to meltdown in short order. This will probably send fallout across the Pacific to our neck of the woods. N95 particle masks and potassium iodide are necessities. Potassium iodide is what you take to reduce the effects of certain types of radioactive fallout. I'm no expert, and I suspect that taking this stuff probably fucks your thyroid and body up in other ways, but it is believed to have radically reduced radiation damage after the Chernobyl incident, when it was administered to millions of people in Russia and Poland. I just ordered mine online from CVS.
*BTW: Our own San Onofre nuke plant lies at the water's edge in SoCal. This exact meltdown scenario could occur there in the event of a similar quake & wave. In fact, I betcha that one day it will happen, and the fallout will hit LA LA Land, and LA LA Land will get permanently evacuated. Millions of refugees will then flood Northern California, making real estate in the sticks worth a fortune. Just my 2 cents.
*In light of this disaster I have re-attached my survival pod to my backpack, and also double-checked my BOB. Will also throw some food & water bottles in my truck tomorrow.

Less Important:

*Gasoline cost me $4.10 a gallon for premium today.
*Daylight Savings kicks in tonight, Sunday March 13th @ 2:00 AM. Spring Forward, Fall Back. We lose an hour this time around.
*Fixing up old wooden boxes & then staining them with boiled Linseed oil makes me happy. It's virtually free, keeps me out of trouble & then I have nice storage containers.
*Heading to the desert next month. Oh Boy!
*Never forget that online coupons rock.
*The potatoes are coming along, enough that I'm mounding them.
*Harvested some home-grown green onions last week. Never bagged them, just left them out on the counter or loose in the refrigerator for a few days, and they didn't wilt or go bad. They were 100% fresh after 4 days. I'm thinking that that is the sign of quality produce. Never had a store-bought green onion do that. Don't they usually wilt in a few hours after you leave 'em out?

Weird:

*Almost bought a 1940s-era Singer sewing machine today at a garage sale, for $175. Then thought better and didn't buy it. Too big & I don't know how to sew. Decided maybe I'd buy a pre-electric treadle Singer one day on EBAY instead. 9:00 PM this evening I was walking down the Avenue 2 blocks from my house...and there was an antique Singer treadle sitting on the sidewalk with a FREE sign on it. There was no sewing machine attached, just the iron bench with working treadle...in my mind a beautiful, useful antique. I snagged it, brought it home and cleaned it. Will detail and oil it tomorrow. Would like to figure out how to connect a battery to it, for manual charging. This relic is very heavy. Minor rust w/some pitting, but completely intact. A fortuitous & wonderful score!

No comments:

Post a Comment