Sunday, May 13, 2012

Paradise

*

A little piece of paradise: Shade, sun, a breeze.  A hammock, a bench, a fire pit.  Lawn.  Tomatoes, strawberries, citrus, apricots, almonds, cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, pole beans, carrots, collards, aloe, summer squash, potatoes, blueberries.  Time does not exist in this place, except in terms of the seasons.
*
What I need to do is put together a bag that is more than a bugout bag.  A pack for long-term nomadic travel.  Real basic, some hi-tech gear but also a lot of low-tech gear.  Get rid of the bullshit.  Real food, simple tools.  
*
The British re-make of The Survivors is good, and has grown on me.  Yet I am continually surprised by the lack of preparedness shown by the characters.  They are almost always completely unarmed.  There are almost no firearms.  People wear regular, brightly-colored clothing.  People don't have EDC kits, they don't carry survival gear.  Many of them don't have gardens, no one is hunting.

If I lived in that world, I'd have a Leatherman and a Mora knife on me at all times, plus a blade strapped to my ankle.  I'd have a firearm, preferably a sawed-off shotgun, with shells.  I'd have a pack in the vehicle, and food and fire on me at all times, as well as a sharpener, cord, a poncho, a canteen.  I'd wear green clothes and have a black jacket for nights.

The scene where they are trying to break the slaves out of the coal mine: I'd be running around with a razor-sharp Mora knife in hand, stabbing all the guards.  No time for anything but straight-up CQB assault in a situation like that.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment