Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Current Fantasy

I find myself trying to design a simple, permanent shelter that requires no utilities or grid input to function, while utilizing a structural design that maximizes utility, energy and thrift. So far the concept has evolved into a simple, one-piece ceramic dome. The roof funnels rainwater into integral tanks. Fireplaces and chimneys are built into the structure, as are skylights. Perhaps solar panels can be integrated into the roof. Perhaps the structure can be buried to a certain depth, or have dirt mounded on its sides, for camouflage and/or thermal mass. The idea here is that you can live in this structure as-is, ie: primitively, or you can outfit it with any degree of modern amenities. The real question is: Would people choose to live in such a structure hundreds of years in the low-tech, post-apocalyptic future, or would they shun it to live elsewhere? I pose the question because to me, a cliff cave is one of the most advantageous dwellings, and if I had the means to live in one, I would do so, even now. The age of the cave itself is not really a factor - if it is intact, all you really have to do is clean it up, bless it, and move in. Thus I envision the ceramic dome as filling the same niche as a cave dwelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment