Saturday, November 28, 2009

The (Long) Road

Well, The Road sets a new precedent for the post-apocalyptic genre. The previous precedent was set by the high-energy The Road Warrior, which has been the be-all and end-all of post-apocalyptic films for the past 25 years. But now we've achieved a new level of realism and grimness. What most struck me about The Road was the astounding visual clarity of the cinematography. The vision of a devastated world was so expansive that I actually found it beautiful, even breath-taking. Which reduced the depressive aspects of the film (which are all-pervasive and found in every scene). Kudos to Robert Duvall, whose role as a heart-wrenching Old Man deserves an Oscar nomination, and to Guy Pearce, whose role as a Good Man is bar-none awesome (if brief). Also, kudos to Michael K Williams, as The Thief, for his creepy, haunted, knife-wielding countenance. The Boy, Kodi Smit-McPhee, is cute and likable, if somewhat squeaky and effeminate. Overall, the acting is top-notch. I give this cinematic masterpiece an A-. Check it out, if you want to know why I'm a hippie survivalist†

1 comment:

  1. I recently read 'The Road' by Cormack McCarthy. As I am a father of a nine year old boy, the sureal, post apocalyptic struggle of father and son touches me deeply. I cannot help but to personalise the Man's fear and heartache. At one point the Man walks out into the darkness of the cold night and falls to his knees in abject dispair and rages at the unfairness of their plight. I was very effected by his struggle. In the end I was left sitting on the edge of my bed, tears in my eyes, exhausted and deeply touched. In reading a book, I have never felt so alone, tired, cold, hungry and scared. I truly hope with all my heart that I'm never confronted with a similar situation but if I am, it will be with more than an old revolver and three bullets I can promise you that.

    ReplyDelete