Sunday, January 23, 2011

Black Hawk Down

Well, it should come as no surprise to those who know me that this movie strikes a particular chord in me. Most everything about it grabs me: West Africa, Mogadishu, the desert, the ruins, the technicals, the anarchy, the Somali militias, the Little Birds, Delta Force, the Rangers, RPGs, SAWs, miniguns, urban combat, warlords. And there are a few scenes that really grip me.

First off, the lone survivor of the first helicopter wreck - the guy who stands outside the helicopter and single-handedly keeps the enemy at bay even as rounds keep striking him. That dude is my fucking hero. I cannot get enough of him. I mean, that is the shit, that is what war comes down to, and he stepped up to the task and kicked those motherfuckers' asses til he was dragged away by his own men.

Secondly, the sniper rescue team that volunteers to cover Michael Durant at the site of the second helicopter crash. Tragically, those two guys died, but they kicked unbelievable ass on their way out. I bow before them. There was no way they could possibly survive the situation, surrounded as they were by literally hundreds of enemy combatants, so they did the best they could, and took out as many skinnies as possible before they were overrun. Let's just say that the skinnies paid the price for that firefight.

And thirdly, the strafing runs by the Little Birds, when they empty their miniguns and rockets. Holy shit, they kick out the firepower. A wall of destruction that lasts all of five seconds, then they buzz off to reload. It is awesome to behold.

Shit. All of those guys are my heroes, every damn one of those US soldiers. Hats off, and a long, long moment of silence



.

No comments:

Post a Comment