Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Hippie Survivalist - How I Found My Intuition (A Dude's Confession)

* Years ago I read in a spiritual book (title long-forgotten) that one way to get in touch with one's Inner Voice (aka intuition) was to go on walks with no set course, and to consult one's Inner Voice for directions.  Well, walking is one of my favorite activities, and so at some point I began following these instructions.

What I found was that I would pose questions to my chest, and I would receive answers.  In fact, my Inner Voice (apparently based in my body) would talk to me in much the same way my conscious mind does, and I would end up having conversations with myself - Me versus my Inner Voice.  The directions my Inner Voice gave me were often at odds with where I consciously wanted to go.  In time my Inner Voice began kicking in when I was driving, and then later when I was at work.  It is loudest when I am under duress.  During periods when I am upset emotionally, it speaks very loudly and insistently to me, sometimes to the point where I argue with it (myself) because I don't want to do what it urges me to do.

The truth is that my Inner Voice, while not logical or even part of my conscious mind, is almost always right.  And as much as I sometimes resist the advice it gives me, I am aware that it is right.  I have ignored it at my peril on more than one occasion, and almost always lived to regret the decision.  At other times I have argued with it until I have arrived at a middle ground.  But by-and-large I have learned to simply abide by what it tells me to do, and let my own desires fall by the wayside.  That is the easiest path and I don't recall it ever steering me wrong.

This is a very brief and incomplete explanation of my relationship to my intuition, but my point is this: Intuition is a powerful survival tool.  It is so powerful that it could easily keep a person with no survival skills alive, if that person had the ability to tune into it clearly enough.  It could tell a person to leave an area immediately, to go right instead of left, to head towards that far hill, to drink from this puddle but not that puddle, to not fight back in one situation and yet to yell loudly in another - the list is endless.

Intuition, being illogical and non-quantifiable, is a spiritual attribute IMHO.  Accessible by anyone of any caliber or faith, it provides us with knowledge that we can't (otherwise) consciously access.

The cat just puked.

*Watched Breaker Morant last night, for the first time.  Well now, there's a movie with a perplexing moral message.  On one hand we like Morant for his sophistication and his ability in the battlefield, and on the other hand he is a killer of unarmed men.  We hate the fraudulent manner in which his farcical trial progresses, yet he is indeed guilty of the crimes he is charged with.  Can anyone truly say that a man who kills such as he did doesn't have a bullet or ten coming to him?  Live by the sword, die by the sword.  And yet, he is clearly a scapegoat, a pawn in a larger political game, and a victim of fate, egotism, cowardice and inhuman government bureaucracy.  I suppose that in the end the movie is simply a commentary on the utter pointlessness and unfairness of war.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment