Friday, December 28, 2012

The Hippie Survivalist

*My favorite survival firearm of all time is still the 7.62 mm Chinese SKS carbine.  They haven't been available for years, but they retailed for US$99 - US$199 back in the late 80s.  Why I wike 'em so much?  Lemme tell yer.  I rike 'em cuz they butt-ass cheap, they MACHINED (not stamped or die cast), they gots an integral 10-round mag, they haz an integral bayonet (actually the carbine did not, cuz it had a shorter barrel), they gotted a cleaning kit stashed in the stock, and they built to last a rong, rong time.  They fire a robust, cheap round.  They promote conservation of ammo because of the integral mag.  The loaded stripper clips are lighter and much less bulky than box mags.  Truth is, the SKS is a poor man's AK-47.  AND there are still lots of after-market accessories available, like detachable, hi-capacity box and drum mags (only legal in some states, of course), synthetic/folding stocks (same shit again), optics, etc.

In my fantasies I outfit a militia with 'em, and they serve my men well.  While other survivors burn thru their ammo with high-capacity mags, and find their ARs to be high-maintenance sticklers, my men trudge on with their SKSs and Spetsnaz fighting shovels and out-endure them all.

*Spent some time in the shed today cobbling together a zombie club out of a hammer handle and two lengths of bicycle chain.  It's a real ugly PA beaut', yes Sir.

*The kitteh is giving me hot bites, not sure why.

*Dammit, I got a fucking cold.  I HATE getting sick.  Sore throats suck.  Coughs suck.  Pain sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment