Monday, February 28, 2011

Bunkers

Just watched video footage of the inside of a nuclear bunker under one of Khadaffi's "liberated" palaces. And I gotta say it drove home one thing I've always noticed about bunkers and bomb shelters: They are stifling and creepy. Even for the wealthiest of megalomaniacs. All that concrete and steel does not make for a light and cheery environment. I've never experienced anything but oppressiveness inside a concrete tunnel, bunker, fallout shelter or gun emplacement. And I've been inside as many as possible, cuz I think they are cool. It would be cool if someone designed the interior of one of these bunkers so that it was just FUN. Wonder if that's possible?

Natural caves can be oppressive, too. But they can also be airy and pleasantly cool. Part of it has to do with how deep they are, how dark, how wet or dry, and the air quality. In Joshua Tree I've found many a pleasant cave - but they are not true caves, merely pockets beneath jumbled boulders. The most oppressive caves I've been in were limestone, in Santa Cruz - very wet and muddy, with damp, cold air. Some of the most beautiful were in Southern France. One even had a shallow river with gondolas, and the ceiling was hundreds of feet overhead!

-----

A note on Restrepo:

Weapons I observed included an M60, an M1A with a SAGE EBR stock, M-4s, an automatic grenade launcher, 9mm pistols, SAWs, shoulder-launched rockets, a .50 rifle, Warthogs and helicopter gunships. Very interesting to watch them being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment